Friday 28 September 2012

My Study - The Colour Scheme

It has been quite a while since I wrote about my study make-over....  I guess I kind of lost momentum with it, partly due to lots else happening in my life recently, but also because of my indecisiveness.  I am notorious for not being a confident decision-maker, so I procrastinate making a choice, for fear of it not being 'perfect'.  This is something that I have been working on getting over in recent years, but my study is the prime example of this side of my perfectionist personality rearing its ugly head! 

A big part of my reluctance to proceed with the study make-over has been the fact that I couldn't decide on a colour theme.  I knew I wanted white furniture, but the colours of everything else in there has been playing on my mind.

You have probably noticed that I have lots of red in my house.  I love the colour red!  It was the colour of my year 12 formal dress, I had a red car for 4 years, it was the colour of my bridesmaids dresses and roses at my wedding, and it also happens to be the main color of the Danish flag - which I am proud to have as my heritage.  Red is such a powerful colour, I know when I wear red I am going to have a great day!

Given that most of my house already has red accents, and the fact that I have so many red storage boxes and accessories already in red, I was pretty keen to stay with red as the key colour of my study, but I knew I wanted another colour to compliment it.  Sometimes red can be quite bold, and I wanted a pastel colour to help calm the 'boldness' down.

The answer to my dilemma came when my sister recently was travelling to America and offered to bring home some goodies.  To my delight, I came across these divine file folders by Martha Stewart, and knew that my problem had been solved!




I loved the softness of this aqua/teal colour - and the prints are just so yummy!  I am so lucky that Nicky brought me home two sets of the horizontal file folders, two sets of the vertical file folders and a gorgeous matching hanging pocket!  I just love it all. 

To trial the colour scheme, I have had the folders out for a few days now, with some red pieces nearby, just to check that I like the colour combination.  I was 90% sold on it, until I went shopping with my mum to Ikea the other day, and picked up some additional aqua/teal accessories...

....aqua placemats and aqua glass bowls
(paired with my trusty polka dot red to show you the colour combo!)



Now I am 110% sold that I am in LOVE with this colour combination!  The soft aqua does wonders with the red, and I can't wait to set up my new white 5x5 Expedit and put all of my office/scrapbooking supplies into the cubby holes, using the red and aqua bits and pieces to make my creative workspace come to life!

I could have bought lots more (I am still eyeing off an aqua lamp and some aqua candles), but until I can arrange it all on my new shelves, and I can actually see what I have, I didn't want to go overboard with spending up on accessories.  I also had a quick hunt around the house and found lots more little things to add to my room that I already have.


I would love to post my 'after' photos for you soon, but we are still at least a month away from a reveal, as we are still yet to paint the room (my lovely dad is going to do it for me!), and then we have to assemble the furniture, which includes making my workbench.  We are making the workbench ourselves using some creative pieces that I have sourced, as I couldn't find anything like my dream workbenches, which you can see on my Pinterest board here.  We are making a big workbench for the centre of the room with pigeon hole storage on the end!  I am so excited about this project!

I can't wait to share it all with you, but for now, I will go forth with my task of emptying the room this week, so that we can install new downlights and a ceiling fan, so that the room can be painted, and THEN I can begin the fun part of putting it altogether!

Oh, and because I was so excited about this gorgeous colour combo, I decided to make a quick display for my front entrance buffet, just to enjoy it now...




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...